Bharat (India) >> Haryana >> Districts >> Rewari
Rewari became a district of Haryana on November 1, 1989. The district headquarter is situated in Rewari town. Rewari is 82 km from the national capital, New Delhi on the Delhi-Jaipur National Highway NH8. Rewari town is situated at an altitude of 241.95 m. Other smaller towns are Bawal, Dharuhera and Kosli. There are 412 villages in Rewari. The total area of Rewari district is 1,559 sq km and its population is 6,23,000. This district borders the state of Rajasthan and the districts of Mahendergarh, Gurgaon and Rohtak.
Due to its proximity to Delhi and location on the Delhi-Jaipur national highway, Rewari has developed rapidly as an industrial hub. The district's economy has developed mainly around the Dharuhera Complex, Rewari Complex and the Bawal Growth Centre. The second manufacturing plant of Hero Honda Motors Limited, (the world's largest producer of two wheelers), is situated in the Dharuhera Industrial Area. Other major companies present in the district are Space Age India Ltd., Indo Nission Foods Ltd., Sony India Ltd., G.K. Invel Transmission Ltd., Pasupati Spining & Weaving Mills Ltd., Asahi India Safety Glass Ltd., Backton & Dickinson Ltd., and Svedala India Ltd.
Rewari also has a number of small scale industrial units engaged in manufacture of traditional items like Brass utensils, greystone bricks & tiles, and hand-made shoes (Tilla Jutis).
It is believed that during the Mahabharat period there was a king named Rewat who had a daughter whose name was Rewati. The king founded a city named 'Rewa wadi', after his daughter. Later Rewati got married to Balram, the elder brother of Lord Krishna. Much later the city Rewa wadi became known as Rewari. The red mosque (Lal Masjid) near the old courts is said to have been built during the regime of Mughal emperor Akbar in the year 1570.